2007-08-09

playing together

So this cool thing happened a few weeks ago and then a few days ago I want to share. First remember back to the midnight release of the last Harry Potter book? The Borders near me was having a midnight release party and I was going on behalf of my wife, since I routinely stay up that late and she doesn't. I thought, "It's a party of sorts" so I brought my glow poi thinking I could entertain folks. I get there and what do I see but two kids (high school maybe?) with glow-sticks, swinging 'em about. After watching shyly for a minute I screwed up the courage and asked if I could join them. And I did and we had fun! Comparing tricks, listening to the music, entertaining folks... until mall security told us to stop.

It's been a long time since I got yelled at by a cop. ;)

Anyway, one of the kids told me there was a meet-up happening at a park in a few weeks and would I like to come? Sure! Neat!

So a few days ago I go and there's like 8 guys all with glow-sticks spinning and wrapping and tracing and there's a boombox playing trance and drum&bass and such. This time I had brought all my poi (3 sets) and we all had fun with them, practicing and teaching and playing. Once it got dark each one took turns performing a little routine. I'll post a link to video as soon as I finish editing it. I left early because a] my camcorder battery ran out and b] I'm much older than these kids and I got a baby and I get up early. But as I left they promised to invite me to the next meet-up.

So group fun with toys. I was impressed that this was just good old fashioned play. No drinking, no fighting or oneupmanship, not mischief, just play. Yay for play!

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home