2009-12-30

Long live play!

A few things:

1] I just now realized that even though I let the (nifty) domain "playwithtoys.net" expire the domain behind the domain "playwithtoys.blogspot.com" is of course still active. Duh. So you can all keep your RSS feeds feedin' on the off chance that I'll keep postin'. Like I am now. So yay.

2] Still playin' lots of Civ 4. Best game ever.

3] Also playing Wii Sports and Wii Sports Resort. Both alone and with the wife. And also occasionally with my parents and nieces. Ah, the age-transcending power of Nintendo. These games have something many modern video games lack - quick pickup and short bursts of play. I remember back in the day playing X-Wing for hours a day. Then I had to stop for a while and when I picked it up again I had lost the ability to play at the level I had left off. I had forgotten the controls, lost my timing, etc. And I feel this is true for many games today - they require a commitment in time and energy and skill development. And I just don't have those resources anymore. I need games I can pick up, play with for 30 min, have fun, and then put down without fear of losing everything I've built up.

So anyway, Wii Sports [Resort]. Yay!

4] A (long) while ago, I had bought one of those Bandai snap together robot model kits. I asked the wife if she wanted to build it with me and she did and we had a blast. Then we bought another one, but with lack of time and energy it just sat on the shelf. Finally the other night I said "Look, I really want to build this thing and I know you want to so let's just do it." And we did and it was again a blast.

If you've never done one of these kits... there's no glue and no paint required. Everything snaps together. And yet the model is incredibly complex. So many joints move and the detail is incredible. As I sit there putting it together I'm just marvelling at the engineering feat of the design. It is really amazing to behold.

And now we've got the Buster and Blitz guarding the top of our bookcase.

And I just ordered the Duel and Aegis to complete the set. So yay!

5] I finally dig my Lego Mindstorms out of storage, ready to give it a go. But no! This set is so old that it is not compatible with MacOS. (Back when I bought it I was a PC.) So on to eBay it goes. :`(

6] A while back I mentioned the idea of a manga library. Some poking around on the web found similar projects already in effect. Even my local library has some manga for loan. So this won't be something I try to put together. Maybe I'll donate my mangas to the library?

7] I gave my Bakugan stuff to a friend's kid. I'm sure he's enjoying it more than I was.

OK, so toys are still being played with. I even just uncovered some toys still packed away from my last move. So maybe there will be more posts coming soon? We'll see!

1 Comments:

At 21:42, Anonymous ES said...

Yay! You're posting!

YAY!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home